Harris County allows lower-income residents to receive financial assistance to public health benefits with access to a Gold Card. Family Houston can assist with filling out an application, but we do not have any say over eligibility.
What is a Gold Card?
The Gold Card is Harris County’s healthcare financial assistance for low income Harris County residents.
What makes me eligible for a Gold Card?
Residents living in Harris County are eligible. People who are homeless, living with friends or family, or are considered to be undocumented immigrants are also eligible.
Are there any income requirements?
There are three levels for the income requirements to be able to receive a Gold Card. Plan 1 is for those that fall between 0 and 100% of the federal poverty level. Plan 2 is for those that fall between 101-200% of the federal poverty level. 50% which is the last level, is for those that fall between 200% and 250% of the federal poverty level. All 3 levels are eligible to receive a Gold Card.
How long is the application process?
The application form is 2 pages, front and back, that should be either mailed or dropped off to any of the 5 eligibility centers in the greater Houston area. Applicants should receive confirmation of their application within 10 days, and notification of acceptance or rejection within 14 days.
What documentation will I need to provide?
- 1 picture ID or 2 non-picture IDs for both you and your spouse
- Proof of residency
- Utility bill, credit card statement, check stub, a school record for children under the age of 18, mortgage statement, rental verification form, commercial mail to you or spouse, or a printout from Texas Workforce Commission are all valid and accepted proofs if dated within the past 60 days
- Proof of residency such as Lease agreement, department of motor vehicle record, property tax document, automobile insurance documents, automobile registration, Harris County voter card, printout from IRS of most current year’s tax filing is also accepted if dated within the past year
- Verification of household income will need to be submitted for each household member ages 18 and older through official documents (HCHD statement of Self Employment Income Form, HCHD Wage income verification form, HCHD Statement of Support form)
- Gross income for the past 30 days for you and any other members of the household who are over the age of 18
- Proof of how you are related to the children living with you
- Birth certificate, baptismal record, social security awards letter, or any other legal documentation that shows the dependents relationship to you
- Show current or expired documents from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services providing the immigration status of you, your spouse, and all children under the age of 18 that depend on you for support
- Proof of Medicaid, CHIP, CHIP Perinatal, Medicare, or health insurance for you, your spouse, and all children who depend on you for support
- If you have Medicare, you must fill out a Medicare Asset Form and show proof of your current resources and liabilities.
What services do I have access to with a Gold Card?
Public health services connected to the Harris Health System are available to you through a Gold Card. Primary care, dental, pharmacy, specialty clinics, same-day clinics, psychiatry, counseling, and trauma care in Harris County hospitals are included.
Although a Family Houston Case Manager can provide you with assistance for completing the Gold Card application, the process of receiving and utilizing the Gold Card is through the Harris Health System. Download the application.