Description: Family Houston is seeking a passionate and professional Development and Volunteer Programs Intern to support current and emerging department needs in outreach, research, event coordination, and data management. Well-suited candidates should have an interest in the non-profit sector, in particular fundraising and community engagement. This is an excellent opportunity to gain hands on experience in the daily work of a nonprofit development team, which often includes wearing many hats and nimbly moving from one project to the next.
The Development & Volunteer Programs Intern will assist the Director of Volunteer Programs, and the Development Department with key responsibilities including:
- Perform essential data entry needs in constituent database, Raiser’s Edge, including entering new constituents, updating files, and creating lists.
- Assist with outreach and community engagement efforts to strengthen Family Houston’s ties with our neighbors and promote our programs.
- Support annual Pillars of Strength fundraiser efforts as needed.
- Assist in developing new and engaging volunteer opportunities.
- Participate in brainstorming sessions and meetings when appropriate.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Hours & Commitment: The Development and Volunteer Programs Intern is expected to establish and maintain a consistent schedule in accordance with their program requirements and Family Houston’s needs. Most interns at Family Houston complete 10-15 internship hours per week with a minimum commitment of 1 semester or approximately 3 months. Family Houston’s business hours are Monday-Friday from 8:00am-5:00pm but the Development and Volunteer Programs Intern may be asked to participate in meetings or events outside standard hours including evenings and weekends.
- A desire to serve others and contribute to the mission of Family Houston, to create a stronger community for tomorrow by helping individuals and families meet the challenges they face today.
- Current undergraduate or graduate student, or recent graduates who have studied nonprofit management, public administration, public policy, or humanities.
- Sales or fundraising experience or an interest in learning more and soliciting donors.
- Functional proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Ability to multi-task, work independently and take initiative; must be self-motivated and can independently manage time, prioritize, and manage multiple projects, and meet deadlines.
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Highly organized with excellent research skills and attention to detail.
Supervision: The Development and Volunteer Programs Intern is supervised by Family Houston’s Director of Volunteer Programs. Additional supervision and direction will be provided by Family Houston’s Chief Development Officer as well as by other members of the Development Department.
Benefits: We deeply value the time and work product of or interns, however, at this time we do not offer financial compensation to our interns. We take our responsibility to train our interns very seriously and we believe the opportunity our interns have to learn from experts in their field is an invaluable one. We want every intern to leave our program more prepared for the next step in their career. Additional benefits include:
- A one-on-one meeting with a Family Houston Financial and Employment Coach. Interns can use this time to develop or update their resume, learn effective interview skills, create a personal budget, or learn about educational scholarships and how to apply.
- Interns will be assisted in setting up a LinkedIn Profile, including having Family Houston staff provide a headshot and a LinkedIn recommendation upon successful completion of their internship.
- Interns in good standing will receive a letter of recommendation written by their supervisor upon successful completion of their internship.
Application Process: Candidates for this position will complete the Family Houston Intern Application. Qualified candidates will be invited to interview for the role. Family Houston interns will be required to attend intern orientation and pass a background check.