Family Houston is seeking a passionate, professionally trained and licensed Counseling Intern to support current and emerging needs of the agency’s counseling program. This is an excellent opportunity for individuals seeking to build their professional skills and complete their required field hours. We are currently only accepting interns from the University of Houston Clear Lake and Northwestern University.
The Counseling Intern key responsibilities include:
- Provides quality, comprehensive, and well-integrated direct behavioral healthcare services for adults, youth and children in an outpatient counseling program.
- Manages a case load of 4-5 clients at a given time.
- Provides assessment and referral to community programs and agencies when appropriate.
- Consults with staff regarding case management and care planning.
- Maintains appropriate documentation of services to clients, including intakes, assessments and progress notes.
- Participates in meetings and trainings when appropriate.
- Maintain confidentiality of all aspects of job responsibilities.
- Other duties as assigned.
The Counseling Intern is expected to establish and maintain a consistent schedule in accordance with their program requirements. Most Counseling Interns at Family Houston complete 8-15 hours per week.
- We are currently only accepting interns from the University of Houston Clear Lake and Northwestern University.
- Enrollment in a in social work, psychology, educational psychology, counseling, or other related field at an accredited College or University.
- Fluency in English, written and verbal, is required.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, verbal, and presentation skills is required.
- Requires functional proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).
- Desire to learn and possess confidence to ask questions.
- Ability to interact professionally with diverse groups.
Supervision: The Counseling Intern is supervised by Jessica Cisneros,Chief Clinical Officer and Adrian Lira, Clinical Director.
*Please note that internship availability is subject to change based on Family Houston staff and client needs.