Family Houston is seeking a passionate and professional Communications Intern to support current and emerging agency needs in communications and public relations. Well-suited candidates should have an interest in the non-profit sector and developing strong communication skills rooted in industry best practices. This is an excellent opportunity to learn and gain experience in communication, design, fundraising, and marketing. Please note this is an unpaid internship.
The Communications Intern will assist the Manager of Communications in all phases of the Development/Communications department with key responsibilities including:
- Editorial drafting, including but not limited to, press releases, newsletters, annual reports and articles
- Conduct staff and volunteer interviews to identify and develop content
- Assist in developing multiple monthly e-newsletters
- Assist with website maintenance
- Assist with on-line marketing efforts
- Manage multiple social media platforms
- Monitor media coverage
- Perform data entry utilizing agency databases/mailing lists
- Design and update flyers and other collateral
- Take and edit photographs
- Participate in brainstorming sessions and meetings when appropriate
- Other duties as assigned
Hours & Commitment: The Communications Intern is expected to establish and maintain a consistent schedule in accordance with their program requirements and Family Houston needs. Most interns at Family Houston complete 8-15 internship hours per week with a minimum commitment of 1 semester or approximately 3 months. Family Houston business hours are Monday-Friday from 8:00 am – 5:00 pm but the Communications Intern may be asked to attend events outside standard hours including evenings and weekends.
- A desire to serve others and contribute to the mission of Family Houston, to create a stronger community for tomorrow by helping individuals and families meet the challenges they face today.
- Current undergraduate or graduate student, or recent graduates and professionals who have studied communication, technical writing, public relations, journalism, or related.
- Functional proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).
- Proficiency in communication/social media tools such as Constant Contact, WordPress, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter are preferred, but not required.
- Familiarity with graphics/design software, such as InDesign, Illustrator or Photoshop, is preferred, but not required.
- Ability to multi-task, work independently and take initiative; must be self-motivated and can independently manage time, prioritize and manage multiple projects, and meet deadlines.
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, including story-telling ability, and interpersonal skills.
- Highly organized with excellent research skills and attention to detail.
Internships at Family Houston are unpaid, but interns benefit from the opportunity to learn from and train with skilled professionals in the field which they are entering.
Qualified interested applicants may send their resume to email@example.com.
Family Houston interns will be required to attend a volunteer orientation and pass a background check.